Black Bean and four Cheese Dip
The best kind of dinners are often those centred around appetizer style dishes. They remind me of meals in the States while watching football games in sports bars or when out “just for a few drinks” and then you decide to opt for something small and end up ordering everys single starters on the menu. This dip was always one of my favourites and would come piping hot out the oven, served with a mountain of tortilla chips for dipping. Sadly, this dish rarely is gluten free friendly in restaurants and so I quickly came up with a safe version to prepare and eat at home when I didn’t fancy a big dinner or when having friends over. Be sure to serve with an ice cold gluten free beer or a good bottle of wine and you’ve got yourself a perfect night in!
2 x 400g Cans Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
2 x Garlic Cloves, peeled
½ x Lemon/Lime, squeezed
½ x Teaspoon Cumin
½ x Teaspoon Chilli Flakes
1 x Teaspoon Sea Salt
½ x Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 x Teaspoon Hot Sauce (I use Salsa Valentina)
200g x Cream Cheese
100g x Mild Cheddar Cheese
50g x Parmesan Cheese
100g x Shredded Mozzarella
100ml x Crème Fraiche
200g x Gluten Free Salted Tortilla Chips
For the garnish:
1 x green jalapeno, chopped
100g x cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees fan)
- In a large bowl, mix the black beans, cream cheese, crème fraiche, garlic cloves and lemon/lime juice with a hand blender until smooth (alternatively, this can be mixed in a food processor)
- Add the cumin, chilli flakes, sea salt, black pepper, hot sauce, cheddar and parmesan and blend again until smooth
- Transfer the mixture to an oven-proof dish. Top with the shredded mozzarella and bake the dip for 25 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and leave to rest for five minutes before garnishing with the chopped jalapeno and tomatoes.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!